Monday, May 19, 2014

Growing Up White & Black ~



I grew up a white boy on the South Side of Chicago in the tumultuous 1960’s, born and bred in a city and culture ripe for change. Out of necessity, I learned the lessons of getting along really well, especially since I was wearing the wrong color. What an interesting parallax twist and quite the blend of strong Pluto and Chiron placements, both working their life-transformative magic all throughout my childhood and ever since.

Growing up when America first began integrating its public schools (thank you JFK) meant bringing black kids into a largely ‘as-safe-as-possible’ white neighborhood in Chicago’s Hyde Park. Remember, this was the mid-60’s when not many of us were getting along, at least with everybody else. There was a huge amount of uncertainty, fear and violence in those days, as often the case in times of significant social change.

Ironically, I was the minority and got hassled for being different, only because I had white skin. I got the back hand of prejudice and got my ass kicked because of it. Go figure. Growing up on the South Side taught me how to fight, play sports and get along, not always in that order. After all, life is about making adjustments by learning to accommodate the moment at hand. It's also called going with the flow. Receiving this jewel as a kid has served me very well.

Another priceless nugget: I discovered the only place we can possibly meet and safely come together is in our Heartspace - but only if it’s open. Everything else is mostly different amongst peoples, often dramatically so. Different cultures and their colors have different smells, sounds, tastes and social customs. They’re all unique, yet of course, share many common qualities.

Having all these ‘colored’ kids join us in our middle-class, grammar school was like a permanent field trip into another reality. (Being black, not to mention ‘African-American’ hadn't culturally evolved yet.) This wasn’t bad, just real different, as each and every one of us found how to co-exist. Or not. It was a global trip but as kids you roll with it so much easier than adults. We hadn’t learned to hate yet.

However, I learned to blend in, because to do otherwise could be painful. In life, my wisdom has come from street-wise understandings. It’s simple really: mind your manners, give respect and don’t take shit. Being present and Heart centered is also vitally important. Pissing off someone who’s already pissed off, invites pay-back in the worst way.

Growing up my heroes were Willy Mays, Zorba the Greek and Krishna. Reconciling these parts of myself has been the adventurous quest of a lifetime. In this, we all have similar, contrary opposites within us to reconcile and come to terms with. Thus, transforming our Shadow becomes essential in evolving to Awaken. We all have to find the middle road through the divergent neighborhoods of our self.

Having mostly black friends, sleeping over at their houses and hanging out, my outlook on life was uniquely molded. I got to see how the other half lived and because I too was a minority, it made for curious introspections. And yet be said, I had a lot of fun growing up outside the normal boundaries. These childhood gifts gave me enormous life lessons, imprinting strong in my DNA, only blessing me throughout my life.

Thankfully, with all due respect I've observed, the darker skinned of us tend to have a lot more fun in life, any which way you see it. It was certainly so growing up and it’s true here in NYC. The whites of us, especially women are often tighter, more mentally oriented and act more afraid to interact and connect. I don’t know if it’s genetics or even cultural conditioning. Maybe it’s simply geographical, though I think it’s just human nature ...
...to be continued ...
  
Thank You & Love To Us All ~
 
PS I invite you to share these posts with anyone you feel would benefit and if you feel inspired, to write your feedback insights through the ‘Comment’ key on this blog. Also, please check out my work, Heart Tantra - The Attunement Session - on my web site heartantra.com. I offer in-person sessions here in the NYC area and absentee or long-distance work if you don't. Always Blessings On Your Way, Keith 

No comments: