Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Growing Up White & Black (redux) ~



From what I’ve observed, with all due respect, the darker skinned of us tend to have a lot more fun in life, any which way you see it. It was certainly so growing up on Chicago’s South Side and it’s true in NYC. The whites of us, especially women here are often tighter, more mentally oriented and act more afraid to interact and connect. I don’t know if it’s simply genetics or even cultural conditioning. Maybe it’s geographical, though I think it’s just human nature.


But one thing that’s consistent, try saying ‘hi’ to a white woman in town and I bet you twelve times out of 10, their reaction will be one of immediate caution, irritation and quick dismissal. Every time. It’s become pathological. No worries, however, that’s a post of a different, er … tone, left for another blog.



And yes, I know fully well, it’s not advisable to be too open here in the City. There are plenty of creeps who don’t know bupkiss about respect, honor or integrity. Ironically, I totally appreciate a woman’s point of view, however as an empath who happens to be a man, it’s become a drag to even attempt to reach out and connect.



As a result, I’ve gotten over attempting to, having consistently been met by a flash of annoyance and dismissal. In modern times, it's become impolite and a personal affront to say hello to a stranger on the street. It’s not worth feeling the back draft of unconscious fear and anger coming back at me.



In Spiritual wonder, having been singled out early in life because of my skin, it gave me intimate understanding of how so many of us are treated on Earth. Seriously. If ever your tables are turned in this way, you’ll get a quick reminder of how things work if you’re not in favor. More often than not, not to your immediate advantage. Any way you slice it, judgment sucks.



In this, Compassion is one of the lessons we all come here to learn. It can’t be taught in a weekend workshop of from a video series of PBS. You have to learn it in the trenches, real life, with your back hard against the wall or watching a loved one suffer terribly. Most often, it’ll be you in the hole. But you will learn this lesson, by golly. And I bet you won’t easily forget it, either.



Pain is the great equalizer in life where everyone gets brought to their knees. It cuts through every frikkin’ thing you thought was true, necessary or important. There is no pretense allowed and this is why it’s such a powerful alchemical force. Like Pluto's relentless effect, it wounds you till it humbles you, through and through.



In the throes of our Spiritual mystery and evolution, the price you’ll pay to fully grock compassion, forgiveness and loving kindness will be weighed in your Heartbreak and loss. This one my friends, has to lodge way deep into your bone marrow, down to the balls of your ass. Or ovaries as the case may be.



Living in a city called Gotham is ever ripe to observe the fascinating and oftentimes distressing ways of humankind. It’s everywhere you look and if you take the time to really see through the surface façade, it doesn’t appear that so many people really know how to relate. Text fabulously, blind with one hand upside down but converse one-on-one, not nearly so well.



The curse of cybernology is it’s made instant, mass communication insanely easy while slowly retarding us in connecting personally, let alone sincerely. I know it’s all part of big city livin’ especially these days, with so much mass uncertainty not being addressed on our planet. Though, no surprise, this isn’t especially new, is it?



However, growing up a minority depended on how well I could relate in situations not always in my preference or control. This taught me a more nimble approach to interacting and I can’t help believe, it’s going to come in real handy in times ahead. Somewhere this is stated in Everything In Life I Learned From My Dog – It’s how you play with others that really counts. I keep getting the feeling we’re all about to find out what this means.



In true Spiritual understanding, the human body is merely the shell that house’s the Soul. If this is so, what importance is the thin layer of epidermis that covers this shell? Indeed, beauty is only skin deep but hatred and prejudice goes deep to the bone. Having felt the harsh sting of this growing up, seasoned me in the ways of the world. If Hell exists, it’s populated with those who only hate each other.



As I go about my day, I see how valuable these lessons from my youth are, how well I’ve been served by them over the years. If anything, they introduced me to the best life primer course I know - The Basics of Humanity 101. Too bad this isn't required learning for all children growing up.

By the way, if any readers are inclined, I’d be real interested in hearing what lessons you’ve been served by in life. Really. Don’t be shy now …



Thank You & Love To Us All ~

PS I invite you to share these posts with anyone you feel would benefit and if you feel inspired, to write your feedback insights through the ‘Comment’ key on this blog. Also, please check out my work, Heart Tantra - The Attunement Session - on my web site heartantra.com. I offer in-person sessions here in the NYC area and absentee or long-distance work if you don't. Always Blessings On Your Way, Keith 

No comments: